!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Non-essential shops in Mumbai can now operate 7 am to 2 pm on alternate days: BMC
Tracking SARS-CoV 2 variants
The labels don’t replace existing scientific names, which convey important scientific information and will continue… https://t.co/pKPYxmsisT
— ANI (@ANI) 1622479684000
Cipla on vax procurement
- Cipla tells Govt that Moderna’s booster vaccine will bolster India’s COVID-19 fight; partnership with private players need of hour
- Cipla seeks Govt’s assurance on indemnity, waiver from price capping, bridging trials to expeditiously close supply pact with Moderna
Essential and most standalone shops can operate from 7 am to 2 pm in Nagpur
The order stated that all the essential shops that are currently allowed to operate between 7 am and 11 am are now allowed to operate between 7 am and 2 pm.
Madhya Pradesh extends ‘corona curfew’ till June 15 with certain relaxations
- Madhya Pradesh will be under ‘Janta Curfew’ from Saturday 10pm till Monday 6am while there will be a daily night curfew from 10pm to 6am.
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday announced extension of ‘Corona curfew’ till June 15 and issued a set of relaxations which will come into effect from June 1.
- The positivity rate has shrunk to 1.6 per cent and recovery rate has surged to over 96 per cent in Madhya Pradesh, the CM informed.
Cumulative vaccine coverage exceeds 21.58 crore with over 2.02 crore beneficiaries in the 18-44 age group. More than 25 lakh vaccine doses administered till 7 pm today: Ministry of Health
Covid impact through numbers
- 31.67% of total cases, 35.63% of total deaths in one month in India
- India reported more than 88.82 lakh coronavirus infections in May alone
- The daily cases peaked on May 7 when the country registered 4,14,188 infections in a span of 24 hours, while daily deaths were the highest on May 19 with India reporting 4,529 fatalities due to COVID-19.
Health Ministry on CoWIN platform
- CoWIN has been built as a platform to manage vaccination in the country. It does not collect any information about COVID19 infection history of any person
- CoWIN enforces only those rules (relating to gaps between two shots) as announced by the Govt from time to time
Maharashtra reports 15,077 Covid cases; fresh infections below 20,000 for second straight day
On Sunday, the state saw 18,600 new cases, making it the first time since March 16, that Maharashtra witnessed a single-day rise of less than 20,000 cases. A total of 17,864 people were found positive on March 16.
Vaccine tender: Uttar Pradesh extends deadline for submitting bids to June 10
Harsh Vardhan writes to Rajasthan health minister
"Taking note of COVID vaccine wastage reports in some districts of Rajasthan, I wrote to State Health Minister to i… https://t.co/tQIf25uXHd
— ANI (@ANI) 1622471185000
Kerala CM writes to 11 CMs of non-BJP states to press Centre on procuring COVID-19 vaccines
In his letter, the Chief Minister said statements to the effect that the responsibility to provide vaccine entirely falls within the realm of the states defy the very basis of the co-operative federal system.
State-wise Covid tally
- Himachal Pradesh reports 865 new cases, 2167 recoveries, and 19 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Rajasthan registers 1498 fresh cases, 68 fatalities, and 8000 recoveries/discharges today.
- Karnataka records 16,604 new cases, 44,473 discharges, and 411 deaths in the last 24 hours.
A letter to PM Modi
Tamil Nadu Assembly LoP and former CM EK Palaniswami requests Prime Minister Narendra Modi to increase the allotment of Liposomal Amphotericin B IV injection, due to short supply.
Black fungus found in brains of many patients in Indore hospital
Some other experts said the initial symptoms of black fungus infection in the brain included headache and vomiting, with the patient later losing consciousness as the infection spreads.
Covid vaccine: what are the benefits of mixing and matching?
- If the Covid-19 vaccine rollout can mix and match vaccines, this will greatly increase flexibility.
- Having a flexible immunisation program allows us to be nimble in the face of global supply constraints.
- If one vaccine is less effective than another against a certain variant, mix and match schedules could ensure people who’ve already received one dose of a vaccine with lower effectiveness could get a booster with a vaccine that’s more effective against the variant.
Sikkim logs 146 new COVID-19 cases, 3 more deaths
The Himalayan state now has 4,021 active COVID-19 cases, while 10,829 patients have recovered from the disease. At least 214 COVID-19 patients have migrated to other states.
- Kerala has reported 12,300 new COVID-19 positive cases, 28,867 recoveries, and 174 deaths
- Active cases: 2,06,982
- Death toll: 8,815
Goa registers 602 new COVID19 cases, 24 deaths, and 1825 recoveries in the last 24 hours
Amphotericin B drug
Delhi High Court asks Delhi govt to come up with policy on distribution of Amphotericin B drug, used for treatment of black fungus (mucormycosis)
France to send additional medical supplies to India
This is the “largest solidarity operation” that France has carried out since the outbreak of the pandemic and it reflects the long-standing, two-way solidarity between the two countries that lies at the “heart of our strategic partnership”, the French embassy said.
- Delhi records 648 fresh Covid cases, lowest since March 18, and 86 more deaths.
- Positivity rate falls below 1 per cent
Guidelines for effective control of COVID-19 in Chandigarh will be in force up to June 30
Guidelines for effective control of COVID-19 in Chandigarh will be in force up to June 30. https://t.co/YEUmaoMTvM
— ANI (@ANI) 1622460655000
Back to normalcy?
- Singapore to start vaccinating 12-18 year-olds as PM outlines reopening plans
- The city-state is among the first countries in the world to offer vaccines to teenagers before completing inoculation of adults.
- The prime minister said everyone who is eligible for a vaccination and wants one should be able to get at least their first jab by the country’s national day, which falls on Aug. 9.
Jabs on priority
COVID-19 vaccine to be administered to students wanting to go abroad to pursue education, and to those who want to go abroad for jobs. Vaccination certificate to be issued to the aforementioned: Andhra Pradesh CMO
Find Covid origin or face another pandemic, US experts warn
The world needs the cooperation of the Chinese government to trace the origins of Covid-19 and prevent future pandemic threats: US disease experts
Andhra Pradesh govt gives nod to use of traditional medicine prepared by Ayurvedic practitioner
The Andhra Pradesh government on Monday gave the green signal for the use of the traditional medicine, touted as a miracle cure particularly for Covid-19 patients.
A dagger in mother India’s chest
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi govt over ‘zero vaccine policy’
Drug that blocks multiple coronavirus variants in mice identified
A newly-developed drug molecule called diABZI, which is currently being tested in clinical trials to treat some cancers, could inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection of diverse strains
SC takes dig on authorities’ approach on media reportage related to COVID-19′ issues
“We saw a picture of a body being thrown in river. I do not know whether a sedition case has been filed against the news channel for showing that,” quipped Justice D Y Chandrachud when the issue of dignified handling of bodies of victims of the deadly virus was raised before a bench headed by him.
The daily number of COVID cases has gone down to 11,000. The daily positivity rate decreased to 18 -19%. The death rate is 0.56 %, which is lesser than first wave, and discharge rate stand at 91%
– West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
Delhi Police fines over 1,000 people in a day for not wearing face masks
Delhi finishing vaccine supply too soon; Haryana administering doses in small numbers over several days: Haryana Chief Minister M L Khattar
Factories resume work in Delhi’s Okhla Industrial Area today for a week
Factories resume work in Delhi’s Okhla Industrial Area today for a week I am happy with the decision. Now we can… https://t.co/Jk7P1rUeCJ
— ANI (@ANI) 1622454413000
EPFO allows members to avail second COVID-19 advance
India may soon start in few weeks feasibility of Covid vaccine mixxing to see if it helps boost immune response to virus: Dr N K Arora, chairman of Covid-19 working group under National Technical Advisory Group on Immunization (NTAGI)
By August we will have 20-25 vaccine doses per month; another 5-6 crore doses from other manufacturing units or if we get international vaccine doses. The objective is to vaccinate 1 crore people every day
– Dr N K Arora
From June onwards, SII will be manufacturing 10-12 crore doses…Covaxin will also produce between10-12 crores by July end: Dr N K Arora
Uttar Pradesh government lifts Covid curfew from six more districts
- The number of districts that will remain under a curfew is 14.
- The six districts where the restrictions have been lifted are Prayagraj, Bijnor, Moradabad, Deoria, Baghpat and Sonbhadra.
- The number of active cases in these districts is now below 600.
- The development comes a day after the state government eased restrictions in 55 districts.
Karnataka govt mulls lifting lockdown curbs in a phased manner: Revenue Minister R Ashoka
- The restrictions will be eased only when the infections reduce, Ashoka added
- Things will be clear only on June 6 when the Chief Minister will hold a meeting with ministers, officials and the TAC members, he added
- The current lockdown will come to an end on June 7
BJP leaders criticising Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal over vaccination to hide failures in Covid management in country: Dy CM Manish Sisodia
Additional 30,100 vials of Amphotericin-B have been allocated to all the States/UTs & Central Institutions today: Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
Puducherry logs 627 new Covid-19 cases, overall tally rises to 1,04,453
Lakshadweep Collector S Asker Ali extended the complete shutdown in Lakshadweep for 7 more days in the wake of rising COVID cases.
Complete shutdown in 5 islands will come into force at 5 pm today & night curfew imposed in another 5 islands from 5 pm to 6 am, as per order.
West Bengal: At least 400 people from LGBT community receive first dose of COVID vaccine in Siliguri
Delhi HC pulls up drug controller for not properly examining how BJP MP Gautam Gambhir procured huge quantity of COVID-19 medicine, Fabiflu.
Delhi unlock process begins from today; factories, construction activities allowed for one week
Curfew imposed in Andhra Pradesh extended till June 10th, says Chief Minister’s Office
Uttarakhand CM inspects COVID care center
Uttarakhand CM Tirath Singh Rawat visited THDC Engineering College, Bhagirathipuram in Tehri today, and inspected the 450-bed COVID care center operated by the district administration: CMO
We will get a batch of Sputnik V after June 20th. Currently, it is in importing phase, I think its production will begin in August in India.
– Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
Chhattisgarh: Financial aid for kin of journalists who died due to COVID
Chhattisgarh government announces financial aid of Rs 5 lakh for kin of journalists who died due to #COVID19. The state govt will also reimburse the money to journalists who were admitted to the hospital due to COVID.
Uttarakhand government extends ‘Corona curfew’ till June 9, 6 am.
Groceries will open for 2 days a week on June 1 & June 7 from 8 am to 1 pm. Shops of books & stationery will also open for 1 day only on 1st June: Uttarakhand government’s spox & cabinet minister, Subodh Uniyal
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced the extension of lockdown till June 8
1250 Black fungus cases in Karnataka
A total of 1,250 Mucormycosis (Black fungus) cases reported in Karnataka on Sunday. Currently, 1,193 patients are undergoing treatment: State Government
SC asks Centre about rationale for dual price policy for vaccines; says there needs to be one price for vaccines across the nation
Centre must see what’s happening across country and change its policy accordingly: SC on mandatory registration on CoWIN app
Policy makers must have ears on ground, there is digital divide: SC to Centre on mandatory registration on CoWIN app
SC questions Centre on mandatory registration on CoWIN app for Covid vaccination, says people in rural areas may face difficulties.
More than 1.75 crore vaccine doses still available with the States/UTs: Health Ministry
More than 1.75 crore COVID vaccine doses (1,75,48,648) are still available with the States/UTs to be administered. More than 2.73 lakh (2,73,970) vaccine doses are in the pipeline & will be received by the States/UTs within the next 3 days: Union Health Ministry
More than 23 crore vaccine doses (23,11,68,480) provided to States/UTs so far: Health Ministry
Of this, the total consumption, including wastages is 21,22,38,652 doses (as per data available at 8 am today): Union Health Ministry